Drennan Barnsley topped the 2017 Sensas Challenge Final at the weekend after an ultra-tight finish.
The Gloucester Canal played host to this prestigious teams-of-five event which saw 32 teams involved over two days. The event is fished to international rules and attracts teams from across the UK plus international squads from France , Scotland, Wales , Ireland and the Channel Islands.
It was a closely fought event with just two points separating the top four teams.
Drennan Barnsley B team sneaked home with 29.5 points. Their talented team consisted of Oliver Scotthorne, Glenn Lawrence, Sam Wildsmith, Gavin Leversidge and Frankie Gianoncelli.
A single point behind were Daiwa Dorking, with France’s Sensas 28 and Sensas Starlets A completing the top four.
Individually it was also close with Mickelle Brossier (Team Florentine France) and Frankie Gianoncelli (Drennan Barnsley) both scoring a perfect two points. France took the verdict with 12.56kg to 5.76kg.
The next four anglers all tied on three points with John Freeborn (Sensas North) taking the bronze medal with a 7.99kg weight advantage.
The best weight of the weekend came from Welsh international Ian Leach who took an impressive 18.64kg of bream on Day Two from the Castle Stretch.
- 1st Drennan Barnsley Blacks B, 29.5 points
- 2nd Daiwa Dorking, 30.5
- 3rd Sensas 28 A, 31
- 4th Sensas Starlets A, 32
- 5th Sensas 28 B, 36
- 6th Drennan Barnsley A, 37.5
- 7th Team Wales, 44.5
- 8th Sensas Starlets B, 45.5pts
- 9th Sensas North, 47
- 10th Drennan Oxford, 47.5
- 1st Mickelle Brossier (Team Florentine France) 2 points (12.56kg)
- 2nd Frankie Gianoncelli (Drennan Barnsley B) 2 (5.76kg)
- 3rd John Freeborn (Sensas North) 3 (7.99kg)
- 4th Des Shipp (Daiwa Dorking) 3 (5.45kg)
- 5th Oliver Scotthorne (Drennan Barnsley B) 3 (4.72kg)